Quincy IL, The Cultural Jewel of the Heartland
The open road is calling. Miles of wide rolling waters, giant lily pads, inspiring vistas, and distinctive small city tapestries. America’s National Scenic Byway meanders the scenic curves of Western Illinois and the Mississippi River banks of Quincy, the cultural jewel of the heartland.
Now more than ever the road less traveled kindly beckons to America, offering places with space to explore, discover and decompress securely. Quincy and its surrounds are that place. Imagine a weekend retreat in a semi-primitive 2-story tree house with panoramic views of secluded forests or a 200-year old reconstructed log cabin with a cozy stone fireplace. Ten Acre Tree Houses sits just outside historic Nauvoo, Illinois, home to the state’s oldest winery and a new family-owned vineyard as well.
One of the country’s premier recreational resorts is located south of Quincy in the scenic hills of Pike County. Heartland Lodge Resort offers signature private cabins or suites surrounded by 1500 acres in the Mississippi River Valley. The trails can be discovered via quiet hikes, bikes, horseback or even Polaris Adventure UTVs. Meal packages provide an abundant menu recognized world-wide with treats like berry cobbler and cinnamon rolls scratch-made by the lodge’s chefs. Enjoy specials and discounts all year in celebration of Heartland’s 25th Anniversary.
Newly opened and nestled in the heart of Quincy’s East End Historic District is the Gas Lamp Inn & Eatery. The 1866 structure anchors the corner of one the most prominent intersections in Quincy’s architectural history. It houses three luxurious guest suites, serves gourmet breakfasts and custom cocktails. “Picnics in the Park” on the grounds include vintage picnic baskets filled with delightful bits and a bottle of bubbly.
Self-guided driving tours have taken top billing this year among SeeQuincy’s travel options. The tours offer experiences for visitors to enjoy 24/7 on their own terms, from the comforts of their vehicles. The newest tour launching September 2020 is Mid-Mod Quincy featuring 30 premier examples of innovative mid-century modern architecture. It guides design & architecture buffs through commercial and residential areas telling the story of local renowned architect, John Benya.
Mural Find + Dine celebrates the artistic diversity and variety of the city through 24 street murals throughout town, ranging from nostalgic ghost murals to striking new creations. Half the fun of this tour are the culinary and libation suggestions paired with mural stops.
The SeeQuincy area is poised for both safe and invigorating travels this fall. Travels that are certain to soothe souls, spark creative juices and ignite the wonder of nature. Peruse all the latest tours and attractions via the guides below.
- Mid-Mod Quincy, a new exploration of 30 premier examples of 20th century mid-modern architecture.
- Mural Find + Dine Art hits the wall in this driving tour of 24 eclectic city murals matched with nearby eateries & bars.
- Pet-Friendly Quincy features 40+ participating businesses with paw-friendly patios & shopping with your BFF.
- Free Ride 2020 SeeQuincy loans visitors bikes free in 2020! Choose from a tandem or two treks. Pedal your way through a self-guided tour, or ride alongside the expansive Mississippi.
- The Maine Street Mile Affectionately called the “Smile Mile”, Quincy’s most notable thoroughfare of magnificent architecture, history, shopping, and dining.
- Off-Grid Stays Getaway lodges, barns, tree houses, camps and cabins in three counties.
- Local Fix Food Guide/ Al Fresco/ Curb-it Beloved local eateries with delicious outdoor and curbside options.
- Mississippi Valley Wine Trail weaves the locally made offerings of six Western Illinois wineries together.
Request or download complimentary guides today ~ 800.978.4748 | seequincy.com.
On the Great River Road, a Cape Air & AMTRAK community.